Under this construction video tutorial, one can gather brief knowledge on how to design a singly reinforced concrete beam section in seven useful steps.
The video is based on providing a solution to a problem like designing a 20 feet long simply supported beam to withstand dead load (self load is already acquired) of 1.5 k/ft. and live load of 2 k/ft. take fc’ = 4 ksi and fy = 60 ksi
All the steps are given below :-
1) Find out the design load = Wu
2) Find out the design moment = Mu
3) Compute amount of reinforcement/ reinforcement ratio
4) Workout the size of beam. Size relates to the breath and depth of beam
5) The calculation will be made As or main steel area.
6) Find out the number of main bars
7) Detailing check
A beam is called as a single reinforced beam when you supply reinforcement only in tension zone of the beam cross section.
To get more detail, go through the following video.
Video Source: SL Khan