CONCRETE CLOTH-FABRICATING A SOLID FUTURE
Ever wondered if we could mould the concrete according to our wish without worrying about the mess?
What if even after short circuit the structure won’t catch fire?
How about the roads are built or patched in an hour without creating much hassle to the public?
These scenarios are going to be reality in near future. Just like a cloth that can be molded in shape according to need, scientists have created an innovative and fascinating material utilizing the properties of cloth and the utilities of concrete that will change the face of construction business in near future.
Concrete Cloth – a synthetic terrain stabilizing having the nature of cement composite material are a groundbreaking material technology that makes it possible to use concrete on slopes, in water and in other hard-to-reach locations, without forms or mixing and minimal equipment requirements. An engineered concrete in roll form, Concrete Cloth is fabricated in a three dimensional structure that reinforces the concrete, providing strength and durability. Concrete cloth can be quickly cut and secured in place, making it ideal for reinforcing or rehabilitating a culvert or drainage ditch, abutment, beam or other structure. Once hydrated, the cloth cures quickly to form rigid, durable and water resistant 5,000 psi armor. The cloth remains flexible for up to two hours and is easily manipulated to fit the contours of irregular installations.
APPLICATIONS OF CONCRETE CLOTH
CC can be rapidly unrolled to form ditch or tank lining. It is significantly quicker and less expensive to install than conventional concrete ditch lining and requires no specialist plant equipment. The 30m ditch shown below was lined in 45min.
CC can be used as slope stabilization and other erosion control applications such as temporary and permanent slope protection, retaining walls, boulder fences, low level bunds and river bank and dam revetments.
CC can be used as a coating for overland or underwater pipeline protection, providing a superior tough rock shield. In remote areas it can be used to coat steel pipe on site without expensive wet concrete application plants. CC will set underwater and provide negative buoyancy.
CC can be secured with ground anchors to rapidly create a concrete surface for flooring, pedestrian walk-ways or dust suppression.
CC can be used as an alternative to poured or sprayed concrete or as a quick way of erecting strong permanent or temporary blast and vent structures and spall lining. CC has been successfully tried in Mpumalanga, South Africa.
Earth containment bunds can be quickly lined with CC to provide an efficient, chemically resistant alternative to concrete walling.
CC has been proven to prevent the degradation of sandbags from sustained incoming fire, outgoing muzzle fly ash and environmental exposure. A sandbag wall protected by CC withstood 900 rounds of 7.62 NATO, fired by a GPMG LR at a range of 100m. There is currently over 5500sqm of CC being used by the British Army in Afghanistan.
Gabion Reinforcement / Capping
CC can be used to cap or repair gabion walls to provide long-term protection and prevent FOD (Foreign Object Damage). Covering gabions with CC also prevents water ingress which can cause slump, whilst protecting the geo-textile membrane from the effects of UV degradation.
developed as a result of in-theatre feedback, for use as a dust suppression surface around Helicopter Landing Sites. Benefits include: speed of installation, durability, and good coverage (CC) will conform to the underlying ground conditions).
ADVANTAGES OF CONCRETE CLOTH
- Rapid – the material can be hydrated by either spraying it or fully immersing it in water. Once hydrated, it remains workable for 2 hours and hardens to 80% of its final strength within 24 hours. These times can be reduced by adding accelerants into the dry mixture at the point of manufacture;
- Easy to use – dry Concrete Cloth can be cut or tailored using simple hand tools such as utility knives. The PVC side can be supplied with an adhesive backing and the fibrous side bonds well to concrete or brick surfaces when set. It can be easily repaired or upgraded using existing cement products;
- Flexible – Concrete Cloth can be easily nailed through before setting. It has good drape characteristics, allowing it to take the shape of complex surfaces including those with double curvature;
- Strong – the fiber reinforcement acts to prevent cracking, absorbs energy from impacts, and provides a stable failure mode;
- Fireproof – Concrete Cloth is a ceramic-based material and will not burn;
- Waterproof – the PVC backing on one surface ensures that Concrete Cloth is completely waterproof;
- Adaptable – Concrete Cloth is currently supplied on 1.2 m (4 ft) wide rolls but can be manufactured with a roll width of up to 5 m (16.4 ft). The cloth can be produced in a range of thicknesses from 5 to 20 mm (0.2 to 0.8 in.); and
- Durable – Concrete Cloth is chemically resistant and will not degrade in ultraviolet light.
- Environmentally Friendly – CC is a low mass, low carbon technology which uses up to 95% less material than conventional concrete for many applications. It has minimal impact on the local ecology due to its limited alkaline reserve and very low wash rate.
LIMITATIONS OF CONCRETE CLOTH
- CC cannot be over hydrated and an excess of water is always recommended.
- Do not jet high pressure water directly onto the CC as this may wash a channel in the material.
- CC has a working time of 1-2 hours after hydration. So do not move CC once it has begun to set.
- Working time will be reduced in hot climates.
- If CC is not fully saturated, the set may be delayed and strength reduced
Concrete cloth (CC) is a unique proprietary material. It is a time & material saving technique. It is very easy to place & handle. Concrete cloth is a flexible; cement impregnated fabric that hardens when hydrated to form a thin, durable, water & fire proof concrete layer. CC allows concrete construction without the need for plant or mixing equipment. Simply position the canvas & just add water. CC has a design life of 10 years and is significantly quicker and less expensive to install compared to conventional concrete. It is specially used, where the workmanship is very difficult. It is specially used in emergency works such as in military.